Thursday, October 16, 2008

Are we less of a godly woman if we use canned spaghetti sauce??? Part 3

Continued from previous 2 posts...

I feel that we in many ways are living in the past; we've reverted to the past, pre-feminism. As a response to feminism, which in many ways sets up the individual as god, Christianity looked to cultural and social answers for a biblical role of a godly woman. I think that Christian godly woman in the past HAD to make bread, HAD to learn to sew, HAD to make dinner from scratch every night. I think that we have falsely equated what they HAD to do to survive and thrive with what we have to do in this day and age. Is it WRONG to buy store bought bread? Are we less of a godly woman if we use canned spaghetti sauce? MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY, where does homemaking fit into the work of the Gospel, for which all of God's children are responsible?: certainly it [homemaking] plays a major role, but it is by no means a complete understanding of the role of a Christian woman in the world bringing the Good News to the lost.

I know you have thought these things. And you know what one of the biggest problems is? Because the Christian culture is telling us that these things are most important, our husbands (like us) believe it. So if you don't make bread but Mary from across the street does, then she is doing what she is supposed to, and we are not.

What about teaching our daughters to serve their husbands, families, homes AND to love the lost, to spend time serving others around her, to spend time cleaning the old ladies house down the street, to spend time washing dishes at the homeless shelter, to take food to others to bless them, to share what Christ has done in her life with the world. The only way she is going to learn these things is if we model them in our own lives. This is "Discipleship 101."

Serving others around you does not mean that your home life has to suffer. I definitely don’t think that that is what God intends. It just means that you figure out what is most important and do it and teach it. Figure out what is most important because God says so and not because the world (Christian or not) is telling you so. It would be amazing to know how much the world is changed if every housewife shared her faith with at least one other woman a week, if every housewife not only made bread for her family but also made it for the neighbor's family.

There are many ways to do this and make it happen. Maybe you can sit down with your husband and figure out just one hour a week where he can stay home with the kids and you can get out. For women on this side of the world, this may be easier for you because your husbands' schedules may be more flexible (and many of us have some sort of house help). For ladies whose husbands have full time, set-hour jobs, this may be more difficult, but you also could hire a high school kid to come and stay at home with your children for just one hour while you spend time visiting with ladies on your street. (I encouraged taking your children with you before. These are just ideas if that is not possible or for times you would just like to be able to have a deeper conversation without having to get up every few minutes to take care of the children.)

This all may sound silly, crazy even, but perhaps that is because there is little to no priority given to the Gospel. For wives who have husbands who have flexible work schedules, consider discussing this with him and seeing if there are ways that you can compromise and work out a few hours a week (or one day a week) that he can stay with the children while you go out into the community OR (since I am sure many of you might say that these things won't work) what about inviting women into our home? What about hosting lunches at our home for the ladies on our street and all chipping in to hire a babysitter (even just one babysitter who can be an extra set of hands) and talking about life issues? Serving them?

We make it work for things we want to do (ouch…I am speaking to myself here (in ALL of this) just as much ladies!) like going out to eat with friends, going to the mall or movies, but for some reason when it comes to ministry we have let ourselves become content with serving only within the confines of the home.

Have you ever been around women who say, "I know my ministry right now is to serve my husband and my children and take care of my home, but I am just not happy: I feel something is missing"? I have! I have been around MANY women like this who are battling between what the Christian community is telling them and what they understand Scripture is saying. I think this is because we are imbalanced about what we are teaching women is important, and I think this is because we are settling to stay in our comfort zones in our home and not push each other to look for ways that we can not only serve inside our home but also OUTSIDE among those that need the Gospel (OF COURSE I know your children need the Gospel too, PLEASE don't misunderstand or misread!), need to know God loves them and wants a relationship with them and has a perfect plan for their lives! I think this is also because our husbands are also listening to the "Christian culture" and thinking that we should be happy and content and fulfilled in our duties at home. So, they can't understand (and sometimes don't help) when we want to find some way to serve others in our community.

I think one of the most important things in all of this is the WHY. Why do we want help from our husbands...why do we want time to "get out", etc? Is it because we feel ENTITLED to some time away, because we desire EQUALITY so much, because we are seeking for something else to satisfy us other than our duties at home, because we feel our gifts and talents will be better utilized and appreciated outside of the home? If it is for one of these reasons I think we have MISSED it as well. I am not condoning ANY of these reasons. I am only suggesting that we should "get out" (or invite women in) because of our awesome responsibility as Christian, Jesus following, women to take Christ's love to the lost around us.

I am not asking you to approach your husband and tell him, "I need MY time." I am asking you to consider (and pray about) approaching your husband and explaining to him this INTENSE (God given) desire you have to SERVE your Lord with those around you and explain to him that you might need his help to do so. I am suggesting that you approach your husband and explain to him that you simply want to fulfill what the Lord has asked of you in impacting the world around you in your community BECAUSE of your love for Christ and NOT out of selfish motives.

I venture to say that if we do this, we will all be MORE equipped to serve our families and our home and will be better wives and moms because we are doing exactly what God asked us to do and not spending our days wondering why we feel like 'something is missing' the way that we often do.

I pray that as you have read this you feel LOVE and not condemnation. I pray that you see my humble, learning heart in all of this and not an arrogant spirit. I am not trying to be offensive or to shove my "opinions" down your throat. I am not trying to be a renegade and go against all cultural norms. I am not trying to JUDGE. I am not making a blanket statement that all Christian women are under this impression. I am not trying to put all Christian women in a box. I am trying to do the OPPOSITE!

I am trying to encourage and sharpen you and me. I am trying to hold us all to the correct standard. I am trying to search through Scripture and truly live according to God's plan. I am simply trying to help us all become the women that God has designed us to be.

**OK, I have already heard from a few of you (thanks for commenting) but I want to hear more. For those of you who stuck with me for all three posts, what do you think? I would love to know what this has done in your life. I would love to know your opinion on the matter, what God is teaching you. Leave a comment and let me know. Thanks!

8 comments:

Mandy Santos said...

Great post! I couldn't agree with you more. We often have a way for making time for the things we really like- sometimes neglecting the things that are most important. Our children are a light to others, and through their kindness and love they reflect Christ's love to others & can be a great tool in ministry. This is great motivation for me in training my children- making sure they are reflecting Christ- they can do some remarkable things even at the age of 2. It's not always easy, but it's worth it!

julie said...

Kristin, I have really enjoyed these posts and thank you for your thoughts. I especially appreciate you pointing out that just because women of the bible lived in a culture and time where they had to do certain things does not mean that is how women have to operate today to serve the Lord faithfully.

I agree that Scripture commands all God's children to go and make disciples, and see nothing that says women are supposed to only disciple their own children while men take care of the rest of the world. Therefore, husbands and wives need to partner together and share responsibilites in the home, as well as help one another do ministry outside of the home. My own mother worked and was involved with our church. She took me along when she taught and served, and I learned from her example--not to mention it was helpful to realize I was not the center of her universe and she did not exist to cater to me. I benefitted from her service to others!

Also, I cannot say I am the homemaker--we make our home together and share the responsibilites. Of course, I would be willing to stay home with children if we had them and it was necessary, but I have never felt like the 'home' is more my responsibility than his even if I spend more time in it than he does (which now it's about equal).

Thanks again for your thoughts! They blessed me--and I love the baby pictures!

Delaughter said...

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! All 3 parts were refreshing and spirit lifting. I feel the opposite most of the time reading blogs about this subject. As you said there has been a "reaction" to feminism and I don't think where "we" have ended up is all that "godly". We as humans like a picture, and list of things we have/are suppose to do and then check them off. I don't think its that easy. We need to be seeking Him, and His will for our 'every day'. Even if I tried, I can't get away from His Word and Spirit telling me a lot of that has to do with the lost...outside my home. "Home-making" and kids does take a lot of time, but if we make it/them more than it is..it/they becomes our idol/s.

Looking forward to more....thanks again.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

THANK YOU! THank YOU! THANK you! for posting this!! I have been so frustrated reading all the blogs on this subject. Thanks for what you posted. I really agree with you. THanks for writing this! I will be passing this on to a lot of friends!

Bran said...

Great post, Kristin. I really enjoyed reading it and have done so multiple times. I think you have a good way with words and have done a great job of balance. It's clear that you stress supporting your husband, taking care of the home and kids first, but at the same time pointing out that we cannot use that as a crutch or excuse to "stay inside" in ourselves or in our homes. It's easy and tempting to do--especially on hard days, when you're very tired or you just want to be alone (and sometimes the best thing to do is stay home)!

I struggled so much with balance right when we first went overseas and Sarala was an infant. I actually tried to do too much and realized I had wrong priorities. It was then I really started to seek what is the right balance. I still struggle with finding the right balance especially on a daily basis. I do think every season will look so different. And, right now, for me with 3 kids under 3, it's a busy busy season. But, there is creativity, commitment and desire still to serve the Lord and minister to others.

Gray is committed to me that whenever there is a ministry opportunity or desire that I have, we make a way. On the other hand, I don't do something that Gray could do just so I'm "doing" ministry. Which you did rightly address our heart motives as well. I've wrongly served and tired to push the Gospel previously and to the detriment (I'm so sad to say) of a relationship all because I wanted to be "doing ministry." That's when I really realized we MUST be led by the Holy Spirit in serving the Lord and others. I knew this already, but had never experienced it in such a real way. Our motives MUST be right. Seems so easy and we all know it well, but doing it is harder to do.

In the past few years, some of the ways I've sought to reach out even in these busy days is going to the playground with my kids. This was my biggest ministry in SK. I naturally met and became friends with more than 15 women doing this alone. And, even in America, this is the number one way I can get out of my bubble--playgrounds, libraries and the beach have been the places I've had the biggest opportunities and gotten phone numbers to hang out with these ladies later. We also go on walks very often in our neighborhood--just being out and available sometimes is the best way to for opportunities to happen. Usually neighbors and folks in the community aren't just going to come knocking on your door--although that has happened too!

I really do appreciate you sharing your heart. It truly has spurred me on to love and good deeds. It's encouraged and convicted me as well. Thanks! Continue to touch on and address hard subjects. We all need to be very proactive in our thinking on matters the world throws at us.

Oh, and we ate canned spaghetti sauce tonight!!!

Shannon said...

Kristin,

I really enjoyed reading these posts and was definitely encouraged and challenged.

One thing I might add though - it seems to me that among a lot of women in our line of work there tends to be discontentment with serving their families (the opposite of the blogger world) because they imagined things would be different - mutual and equal time and effort by both husband and wife to reach their people group. But, honestly, I have found that it takes much more time to minister to your own family overseas than it does in the U.S. making it much more difficult to have equal amounts of time out among the lost.

I think it is important for us as wives and mothers to learn to love and find joy in serving our families. If we don't we can wind up bitter. I've also found that my focus has not been on the same people group that my husband's focus is on. I don't know if that has been the case for other women (I'd be interested to find out). For me my outreach has been to immediate neighbors and other foreigner moms and their children in my city. At first I was concerned that I should not focus my attention in those directions, but at this stage in my life it is what I have the time, energy, and heart for.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

SnodsAbroad said...

Very well said, Kristin. It's great to see how the Lord is teaching you so much through motherhood. I know this is an encouragement to many moms. You're right--people are more important than food, clean house, etc. Sometimes we need to buy the ready-made sauce, let the laundry go, and spend time with our neighbors instead of in our kitchen. This was convicting for me as well.

Kelley C said...

I just read through your posts about this and I think you have a good perspective. I think the key is balance. Neither extreme is healthy. I've read some of those blogs you are talking about- they would tell me I'm wrong to go away every monday for two hours to help with a Bible club at a local public elem school and leave my kids with my mother in law. I'm a better mom to them because I'm using my gifts and talents as a teacher to share the gospel. I'm encouraged, challenged and reminded of how great my kids are! And just this week one of my second graders turned around to me and said, "What do they mean when they say Jesus died for us?"

Another issue that the Lord has been working on me that goes along with this is.... I live in the 21st century. I do not live in biblical times. While truth never changes, culture and technology does. I do not need to feel guilt for using things that are available that make my life easier then my forefathers(mothers?). Its ok.

thanks for sharing your heart. I hope you'll continue to post stuff like this.