Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Are we less of a godly woman if we use canned spaghetti sauce??? Part 2

Continued from previous post...

The Bible speaks about the roles of men and women. It also speaks about their worth. In God's eyes, men and women are different (thankfully!!!). They were created differently for a purpose. Thankfully, we have unique gifting and roles and responsibilities, but men and women have the same VALUE and worth. God died for men and women. He gave His life for all of us. His offer of salvation is a free gift for us all.

If we choose to accept his free offer of salvation, then there are certain responsibilities and commands that come along with that for both men and women. We are given the greatest commandment in Matthew 22:37-40, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" We also see in the Great Commission that Jesus tells us, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20) We see throughout the Bible that we (as Christians, Christ followers) are to love and to serve others around us, to humble ourselves and serve our family, neighbor, friend or foe.

I hear so much about baking bread for your husband but what about baking bread for your husband AND your neighbors. Or what if instead of baking bread, you buy it at the store and spend that hour out in your front lawn or walking around your neighborhood meeting other moms like you and building relationships with them, relationships with them that lead to you being able to pour into her life and share with her about the amazing love of Christ.

Now, I am not saying that this should take away from your home or your children. Take your children with you: you are called to be a disciple-maker, and your children should be your number one disciples. Try and meet other women who have children their same age. They can play while you talk, not just for your social enjoyment or outlet but also for the purpose of the Gospel, in accord with your role as a Christian. I think we have lied to ourselves and have come to believe that staying home all day long every day and taking care of our family is enough, or that our role and service as a Christian woman within the home is enough, or is only what we are to be doing as a godly woman. I think we, in pursuit of serving God and our families in making our home a safe, comfortable haven, we have (in some ways) made a trap and snare for ourselves. Our home has become a place of worth to us, a place where we feel in control, where we feel powerful. We have made it hard for ourselves to venture outside of that comfort zone.

Oh, it is hard for me to say these things, because I don't think it is wrong to focus your energy and attention on your family. I don't think it is wrong to make fresh bread or make your home a comfortable place for your husband, but what I am saying and want to ask you is, "Is it enough?" As a Christian woman are you TRULY finding fulfillment in it (not personal fulfillment but do you feel you are doing all God is asking you to do?) I would venture to say that (if you are like me) many of you are not. You feel like there is something more, something more you can be doing, something more you can be pouring your life into. I am NOT saying that you need to spend 40 hours a week outside of your home (come on…there are things to do: dishes to wash, laundry to do, floors to sweep, food to make, naps to get (for the children of course :)), toys to play with, stuff to teach), but what I am saying is,

Is there time in your day that you could be spending in a way that impacts the kingdom of God outside of your home? Are their ways that you can be more intentional about reaching out to the woman around you every day? Are there ways that (after making sure your husband and children are getting the attention, love, care, example and service from you) that you can reach out to those outside of your family? Is making bread or learning to sew (although NOT bad things) what makes a godly woman?

To be continued tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a friend's and am really enjoying it. Even though I am single, I totally understand what you are talking about, but I also have a different perspective on it. As a 31 yr old single woman (with no prospect of marriage in the near future), I also have a problem with this. As you said the church seems to stress that a woman's role is just what you've described. But where does that leave me? It makes me feel that I don't have a purpose. I know God has a purpose for me. There are things He has me doing that I couldn't do if I were married right now, but that is not how the church makes me feel. And I think that is another reason that the church should be stressing our role as a Christian more than anything. Like you said, our ministry is wherever we are, whether that's at home, work, the store, our front yard...
Thanks for giving us something to think about. Even though I don't know you, I am praying for you and your family and your work.

Selena
Albany, GA