I love to make cinnamon rolls. They actually are a lot easier to make than you might think. I have made them several times over here in Nepal and they always turn out great. When my in-laws visited Nepal they raved about how good my cinnamon rolls were. They even said they were some of the best they had eaten! SO when I was on stateside last year and spending Christmas with my in-laws I wanted to make the "famous" cinnamon rolls for everyone. Unfortunately when I made them in the states they were terrible (compared to how they are here)...not sure why...different ingredients, different yeast...I am sure if I tried them again in America they would be fine (it is certainly not the recipe) but it sure was disappointing. Anyway, thankfully since then I have redeemed myself and made them several times back here in Nepal and they have been delicious! I got this great recipe from my friend Crystal (I am not sure where she got it). I hope you enjoy!
Estimated Times:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Proofing: 60 minutes
Ingredients:
Dough:
- 1 packet of active dry yeast (or 1 Tbsp)
- 1 cup of warm milk (105-115 F)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
-2 eggs
- 4 cups of flour
Filling:
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
Icing:
- 1/2 cup butter (at room temp)
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 1/2 cup sugar, melted butter, 1 tsp salt, eggs and flour. Mix well.
Dust a flat surface with a small amount of flour and knead dough into a large ball. Return to bowl and cover. Let rise for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 375 F or 185 C.
Remove dough from bowl and roll out on a lightly floured surface until dough is 21 inches long by 16 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick.
In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread the 1/3 of a cup of butter evenly over the surface of the dough (MAKE SURE THE BUTTER IS ROOM TEMP AND NOT MELTED...I think this was one of my problems when I made them in the states. I used melted butter and so it just all dripped off when I stood the rolls up and baked them) and cover with cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. Roll dough from the top (21 inch side) to bottom edge. Cut rolled dough into 1 3/4 inch slices and place them on a lightly greased baking sheet. You can have them slightly touching in a baking dish (they will expand).
** see note at bottom
Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
While rolls are baking combine remaining butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla and salt. Beat with a fork or an electric mixer until fluffy. Spread on rolls and serve!
Makes about 12 medium to large size cinnamon rolls.
** I like to make the rolls the night before I want to eat them for breakfast and get to the point just before I am to put them in the oven and bake them. I cover the uncooked roll pan tightly and leave them out overnight (I don't put them in the fridge unless it is really hot out and then I do put them in the fridge overnight and then just let them sit out for about 30 minutes before I cook them to warm them up and get the yeast working again). Then I just put them in the oven and make the icing to put on the top. This takes a lot of work out of it for me in the morning (which is great because our mornings can get pretty busy and I am often too tired).
ENJOY!!!
Summer Ministry
3 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment