Thursday, September 25, 2008

I promise the following story is true in its entirety....

I have been meaning to sit down and blog about this since the moment it
happened yesterday but I am just now finding the time to do it and even now probably only have time to write half of this post and will finish the second half later but I just HAVE to tell you about how my morning started yesterday...

OK, so it's about 7:30 am. Gracie and Keane had gotten up at 6 am and they were playing together for a few minutes in their pack and play (that happened to be in my bedroom) while I got a few things done. All of a sudden Gracie starts crying very loudly and I went in to see what was wrong. Well, she had a VERY dirty diaper. So, I took her from the pack and play to their bedroom across our apartment. Just as I removed her diaper and began cleaning her up I heard a bird fly into our home (yes, a bird!) it was SO loud and it was flapping its wings like crazy. I went into panic mode (or survival mode if I want to make it sound a bit more positive) and immediately thought of Keane in the other room by himself. I thought, "oh no! the bird is going to find Keane and peck him but what do I do with Gracie...she has poop everywhere?" So my quick thinking mom brain (notice the sarcasm here, remember I am still in "survival mode") decided the best thing to do is to put her down on the carpet on a towel that was nearby and just pray she did not move much and get poop all over the room (at this point, that was the least of my concerns) and I ran with my hands on my head to Keane and closed the door to the room he was in so the bird (which I found out was definitely a pigeon after I got a good look at him) wouldn't bother him. I then went back to check on Gracie (she was fine although she was moving all over the room...ahhh I am laughing as I write this) and then opened up as many windows as I could and I ran out onto my balcony and began calling for my guard who lives downstairs to come up and help me.

Meanwhile, I step back inside my house and notice that there is not one pigeon but TWO nasty pigeons in my house who are both scared to death (and are probably husband and wife pigeons since they both reside together in the ventilation hole above my stove...more on that later) and are flying back and forth around my living room and kitchen....gross...and pigeons are NOT small birds! Well, my guard never came up but thankfully one of my neighbors happened to be walking downstairs and I said, "help me please! there are two birds in my house!" she came into the house (laughing mind you) and tried to get them to fly out the window. Every time she tired to shoe them away they just flew to the other side of the room and I would duck and cover my head (all I could picture in my head is the scenes from movies when birds are attacking people and pecking away at their heads). My neighbor was laughing so hard at me and while I was crouched down on the ground I was laughing to myself thinking about what a good blog post and fun story to tell Ryan this was going to be (I lost my focus for a minute or two...haha). Then my neighbor called her mom and she came down (all the while they are laughing at my reactions and seem utterly calm about the entire ordeal...apparently this happens quite often in Nepal). I remained crouched on the floor while they dealt with getting the birds outside where they belonged...They were able to finally get them out by opening the front door and the mother shoeing the birds towards the door and yelling to the daughter to open it. It was quite an ordeal and I am definitely glad that there are no more birds in my house. Except for a little pigeon poop (that I thoroughly cleaned up...gross) they didn't mess anything else up.

How did the birds get into the house in the first place you ask? Good question...in Nepal most of the homes have a hole (larger than necessary and not sealed) in the side of the kitchen wall where the vent from the stove runs out and in my home, there is a tube that runs from the stove to the hole...unfortunately these pigeons have been spending WAY too much time in the tube and we have tried to get them to stay out many different times and ways but yesterday the tube split in half allowing pigeons free entrance into our home! My guard fixed the tube and put it back together, so for that I am thankful BUT the love birds are STILL hanging out in there and it is driving me crazy. They make the pigeon coo all day long and flap around in there...it is loud and annoying. As soon as Ryan gets back I am going to ask him to put screen over the hole so we can be done with this problem once and for all!

What would you have done in a situation like that??? I would like to say, "only in Nepal" but I know that is not true, I am sure stuff like this happens around the globe. Anyone else have any crazy bird or rodent in the house stories to share??

I wish, wish, wish I had pictures to share but alas Ryan has our camera in the mountains. So, for visual stimulation, you will have to settle for a photo of pigeons from the Internet!

2 comments:

Shank Family Adventure said...

Kristin, this story cracks me up! I can only imagine your reaction...you had to look hilarious! Not to mention...how much poop was in Gracie's room with her rolling around?!!! : ) Thank goodness she's not in Hannah's stage yet..she likes to put her fingers in everything and then put them in her mouth...so, you get my drift (I can't leave her alone with a dirty behind!! ha,ha) I also laugh b/c of the Friends episode I watched last night---Rachel and Ross were locked out of their house with their baby inside--and she kept saying "oh I think I left the stove on, I think I left the water on, I think I left the window open...what if a bird flies in!" The rest of the story is Ross making fun of her and how the bird could peck the baby or carry the baby out the window, etc...I laughed like crazy at this scene...so to hear your story about the pigeons makes me laugh even harder!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

OK, that story was awesome! You totally crack me up!!! Awesme!