Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Praying for our children...



Since the moment I found out I was pregnant with Keane and Gracie I have been praying for them. I have been praying most importantly that they would truly know God and His salvation and live a life that glorifies and honors Him whatever it may cost them. I have prayed that I, as their mom, would always encourage them in that. I of course pray for their health, for their safety, for many, many different things as well. Lately, I have felt a need to really have a way to be in constant prayer over them for specific things. I recently came across a document that I think I was given at a women's retreat here in Kathmandu last year. It is called, "31 Ways to Pray for your Children" by Bob Hostetier. I am not sure who Bob is but on this piece of paper is a list of prayers, one prayer for each of the days of the month along with scripture to pray over our children.

He says, "Each day of the month, in addition to my prayers for their saftey and concerns for that day, I also pray for a specific character trait, virtue or fruit of the Spirit to be planted and nurtured in my children, through my efforts (and my wife's), through the influence of others, and through my children's own actions and decisions."

I began praying on day 1 today. I will try to add a new days prayer each day on my blog so that together we can be in dedicated prayer for our children. I want to see God working in their lives. What a blessing it is and has been when I see Him visibly at work. It is amazing how fast Keane and Gracie are growing. I want to make sure that I am intentional each and every day to lift them up in prayer before my God. I am excited to see all of the many ways that God will answer our prayers.

Day 1: Salvation: "Lord, let salvation spring up within my children, that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory."

Isaiah 45:8
"Shower, O heavens, from above,
and let the clouds rain down
righteousness;
let the earth open, that salvation and
righteousness may bear fruit;
let the earth cause them both to sprout;
I the Lord have created it."

John 1:12
"But to all who did receive him, who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Kristen,
Bob Hostetler is a Christian author and speaker. (I googled him - haha). His article "31 ways to pray for your children" was recently released and distributed in India too :)
Thanks for sharing this. I'm really excited about diving in more. Just after I had Asha, I was reading Power of a Praying Parent and I really felt burdened to encourage moms to pray for the children. This is a great resource!

Shannon said...

Oh...the full article "31 Ways to pray for your children" can be found here:
http://web.me.com/bobhoss/Bob_Hostetler/31_Ways_to_Pray.html

(And sorry I misspelled your name in that last commment, Kristin. ;) )