Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New Territory...

My husband is leaving tomorrow for a 10 or so day trek in the Himalayan mountains. He is going with 4 of his great friends and is going to be able to serve God in some of the remotest and most difficult to reach places in the world. I am excited for him and SO happy that he has this opportunity and is taking it. I can't wait to hear about all that God does and to see pictures and hear about all of their crazy adventures BUT I am also sad. I am sad that we will be apart for 10 days. We have been married for 5 years and dated for 3 before that. In our married life we have only been apart for two nights (and they weren't consecutive) and both times I was staying with family or friends. I will miss him. I know God is with me and will give me the strength I need to take care of Gracie and Keane each day and I am SO grateful that I have Lhakpa (the girl who helps me around the house) coming each day and good friends (American, Tibetan and Nepali) to help me whenever I need it. I am confident that we all will be fine and do fine BUT I will miss him. Ryan is my best friend and we do practically everything (or as much as we can do now with two little ones) together. We love being together and so it will be strange not having him around. I do have some fun things planned while he is away that I am really looking forward to such as hanging out with girl friends that are in town because their husbands are also on the trek and having a sleep-over with my good friend here and 6 of the Tibetan teenage girls from the children's home she runs. There are also some errand type things to do and of course there is always email and blogging and my never ending list of stuff to-do on the computer and then add that to taking care of my amazing babies and I am sure the 10 days will fly by. We are entering new territory here in the Parker family and it will be interesting to see how it all goes...I should be updating the blogs regularly (except that Ryan is taking the camera so pictures will be limited, I am supposed to be borrowing one from a friend though) so stay tuned....

3 comments:

Bran said...

Look forward to seeing how it goes. When Gray had to go to Thailand Jan of 07, I felt many of the same things. Sarala was almost 2 and Jackson was 5 mths. It was tough, but I learned much about my life, roles as wife and mother, and grew in many ways I still talk about today because of our 2 weeks apart.
Brandy

Shank Family Adventure said...

Remember when Nathan had a training outside the valley last year and how difficult it was for me...now, after several trips away from each other--it seems to have gotten a little easier (not easy, but easier). I found things to get done that would've otherwise been put on the back burner. Which was kind of confirmation that I am putting Nathan and Hannah first these days and not myself--that was a great little pat on the back moment : ) So, now these days when he goes on a trip--I get those things done and I feel like I have accomplished great things! I'll be praying for you as you spend those 10 days away from each other. I wish I was there to hang with you and the babies...that would be awesome! Give em' hugs from me! Kari

Parker Family said...

Brandy and Kari-
Thanks for the comments. I too feel I have learned a lot since Ryan has been away and God has been so good. I plan on posting about what I have learned sometime soon.
Kristin