Monday, August 25, 2008

Firsts



Well Gracie and Keane just turned 6 months old the other day. I had read in my "What to Expect the First Year" book that around this age is when they may start to cry when a toy is taken from them. For Keane, it happened the first time tonight. I bought them a new bath toy that we endearingly call "Mr. Froggy Friend". He is a frog sponge puppet. Gracie and Keane LOVE this guy. I have no idea why. Maybe because he can move his arms and his face and "talk" to them but for some reason whenever Mr. Froggy Friend comes out they both go crazy, trying to grab him and get all intense. Yesterday was the first day with Mr. Froggy Friend and although they both enjoyed playing with him in the bath, when the bath was finished they were fine. My, how things change in a day. Tonight when I tried to "put Mr. Froggy Friend to bed" there were tears...LONG, HARD, LOUD tears that only subsided when I brought Mr. Froggy Friend back. (I swore I would never do this so as not to create dependency or an "I can cry to get what I want" attitude) BUT I had to see...was he crying over Mr. Froggy Friend or just because he was tired or something and sure enough...he HAD TO HAVE the frog. After a few more minutes of swooning over Mr. Froggy Friend I put him "back to sleep" and the tears begun again. Thankfully at 6 months old Keane is pretty distractable so I was able to get him to calm down by singing to him and laughing with him as I changed him into his pj's. I am sure this is just the first of many times they will cry when something is taken from them. I still do this sometimes!


What are some of your favorite firsts that you have watched your baby accomplish? How do you feel when they accomplish the milestone? Excited, sad, sentimental, proud, all of the above, others?

No comments: